In the words of the American Chemistry Council, “plastic packaging must serve many masters,” including marketers, regulators, logistics engineers, recyclers, consumers and more. The roles it has to play are many and varied:
- Protecting product as it moves from manufacturer to end use
- Meeting regulatory requirements, a higher hurdle for most food and healthcare related packaging
- Minimizing the costs to make it and fill it in terms of materials, shipping, handling, processing and packing times
- Maximizing run speeds
- Meeting the functionality requirements of the end user (e.g., ease of storing, opening, resealing), perhaps even offering some unique functionality that differentiates it from competitors
- Meeting the recyclability/sustainability expectations set by the product’s manufacturer, and the people who use it (e.g., made from readily recyclable resins and/or bioplastic)
- And of course, presenting the brand image that will get the product shelf space, communicate brand messages and ultimately help give the product “shelf impact,” interest and appeal
All of this puts a serious premium on smart, considered package design. It also puts a premium on the custom manufacturing capabilities of your packaging suppliers.
At CMG Plastics we are a custom plastic packaging manufacturer focused on the food, healthcare and packaged goods industries. We offer a range of sophisticated customization capabilities, and the ability to produce custom packaging with excellent consistency at high-speeds. In fact, we have just added an automated high speed, thin-walled plastic packaging and printing system to our Somerville, NJ facility. You can read about it here. For more information on any of our capabilities, please contact Jens (pronounced “Yens”) Duerr at 908.218.7997 ext. 203.