CMG recently won the production of a spice mold closure for a client whose previous supplier was experiencing quality issues and meeting production demand. Our custom designed automation process eliminated labor-intensive manual operations, reduced operator supervision by 75%, significantly increased manufacturing speed and guaranteed on-time shipments, while virtually eliminating what was previously a reject rate of 15%. CMG know-how and ingenuity made it happen. (more…)
The commodity look of packaging for dairy products is about to end thanks to our in-mold labeling capabilities. The process creates packaging that is unique and eye catching. Operating from our U.S. and Canadian facilities, we’re creating dynamic packaging looks for a variety of dairy products, including several ricotta cheese brands. The process is also ideal for emerging or specialty niche brands in many other consumer brand product formats, including food grade cups, tubs, square or oval containers and lids. (more…)
CMG Plastics Collaboration With NJIT Demonstrates Why Innovation and Partnership Are Essential in Solving Even the Most Challenging Problems
The ingenuity of young, creative minds is something we encourage and celebrate at CMG. We believe it’s the best way to develop leading-edge solutions that apply proven problem-solving techniques in novel, progressive ways. Such was the situation with a group of engineering students from NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology) who wanted to do their part in supporting the healthcare and other affiliated professionals who are on the frontlines of battling the coronavirus pandemic.
At CMG Plastics, we share your thoughts and concerns about our environment, and we are acting as responsible stewards in protecting it. That’s why a holistic approach to sustainability is part of our brand’s DNA and directs everything we do as an organization. It means paying attention to both the big and little things, such as using smart eco-solutions in our manufacturing, minimizing and re-purposing scrap, and working with our customers to create light-weight parts. (more…)
For years now, many brands have been trending towards thinner and more lightweight packaging. There are many compelling reasons for this trend including lower cost and meeting sustainability goals, but the challenge has always been maintaining a products’ structural integrity while minimizing part weight. (more…)
The filling line: the most critical point in the supply chain.
As a custom supplier to the packaging business for over 40 years, you might think we’ve seen it all. We’ve seen a lot, that’s for sure; but the beauty of the packaging business is it’s always evolving and adapting to the ebbs and flows of consumer needs, trends and sentiments. That exciting energy is what drew us in, like so many of our colleagues and friends across the entire supply chain of consumer packaged goods. (more…)
CMG Introduces New Energy-Efficient Production Equipment, Adds Capacity and New In-Mold Labeling Capabilities.
Starting today, CMG Plastics’ clients will begin to experience the benefits of our new energy-efficient production systems, additional production capacity and enhanced capabilities supporting CMG’s Dairy, Personal Care and Confectionery Business.
Plastic Food Packaging From CMG Plastics
The services you need with the innovations you desire
There are numerous reasons why your food packaging is of critical importance, and “visual appeal” is only one of them.
Food packaging plays an important role in safety and sanitation, versatility, brand perception, perceived quality and even cost efficiency for your business – essentially all at the same time.
Join CMG Plastics in Chicago at PACK EXPO INTERNATIONAL.
October 14-17, 2018
Upper Lakeside Hall, Booth # E-7164
CMG Plastics is exhibiting at the 2018 Pack Expo International, in Chicago from Sunday, October 14th to Wednesday, October 17. Come meet us, and discover why CMG Plastics is a leader in the creating custom plastic packaging. We will be showcasing some of our latest custom packaging we have been working on for our diverse range of customers. (more…)
CMG is committed to continually improving the effectiveness of its Quality Management System and it is with that commitment in mind that CMG was recently was awarded FSSC 22000 Food Safety Certification for its Somerville, NJ facility.
As the global food supply chain has grown more complex, the need to provide a consistent and reliable food product safety system has never been more important. FSSC 22000 was developed in compliance with the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) to provide a framework for a Quality Management System that reduces food safety hazards, promotes continuous improvement, promotes legal compliance and increases transparency in the food supply chain.
CMG has seen tremendous growth in its food products business over the past several years and this certification for CMG NJ (and CMG Canada by October 2017) demonstrates our commitment to this marketplace and to our customers. To learn more about how we can help you with your custom plastic food packaging requirements please contact Jens (pronounced “Yens”) Duerr at 908.218.7997 ext. 203 or via our Contact us Page.
So, you’re going to PackExpo. So are we (see us in Upper Lakeside Hall, Booth #E-7552booth). Tradeshow experts say you can get more out of two days at a tradeshow than you can out of a month on your computer or you phone – because everyone and everything is all there in one place. But to capture this value as an attendee you have to prepare. Here’s our advice on how to do that – at PackExpo – or any show:
Before the Show
- Shows can be overwhelming – and if you just show up without a plan (and too many do), you are going to miss a lot. The first step in building a plan is to know exactly what you want to get out of the show. Are you going to make contacts, see demos, vet suppliers, get pricing, see what’s new, attend seminars or something else?
- Then make an hour-by-hour plan to achieve your goals. A great starting point is the show’s website which shows you who’s exhibiting, a map of where they are on the show floor, seminar and event schedules and more.
- See if you can make appointments with the companies you want to see most. Some of the savvier exhibitors support this. Look for companies promoting appointment on the show’s website.
- Prepare your list of key supplier questions before hand – so you don’t miss something crucial
Marketers understand that custom product packaging can be an important part of the overall customer experience. Smart marketers dedicate time upfront ensuring that package design supports a number of critical business goals ranging from the product’s “attract” and shelf-life to its ability to meet run-speed and cost targets.
But a marketer’s work is never done. Advancements in packaging materials and production technologies – particularly in plastic packaging – offer marketers new options for enhancing the product experience, as well as reducing costs. On top of this, consumer preferences and expectations are also changing. Consider the rapid growth in packaging made from ‘bioplastics’ – in part a response to shopper demand for more earth-friendly materials. (more…)
In early March CMG Plastics announced our plans to add a fully automated system for the production and printing of high-speed, thin-walled, plastic packaging to our Somerville, NJ facility. Our mission; to enhance our ability to serve the needs of regional food and beverage manufacturers in need of reliable access to custom, hi-volume package production.
With the finishing touches just completed on the installation of a Polytype high-speed, 8-color printer, and an Ilsemann robotic automation system, our mission is complete. These two systems join an up-and-running, customized Ferromatik high-speed injection molding machine to finish a fast, efficient and seamless system for package production, decorating and packing.
Are CMG’s capabilities, as well as our unique brand of responsiveness and reliability, a match for you packaging needs? We’re ready to help you find out, including offering you a tour of our facilities. To learn more contact Jens (“Yens”) Duerr at 908.218.7997.
Okay, so you’ve got a really cool plastic packaging design for your product – one that supports your product’s story, stands out and offers some kind of important advantage to your customers. Plus, initial cost estimates to mass produce it fit your business plan. Time to pull the trigger? Not yet. Here are several things we recommend you do first:
- Don’t just look at the overall cost to mass produce your design. Understand the cost of each design element – particularly in more complex custom designs or those with multiple parts. Your goal is to assess whether or not the benefit that each element provides is worth the cost it adds.
- Once you have a good handle on costs, you need to have an equally strong understanding of the time it will take to bring your package design through prototyping, testing and tooling to final production. Each step can sometimes take weeks to months. This is particularly important if getting your product to market fast is a critical part of your business plan.
- Before approving a product packaging prototype, have a discussion with your plastic packaging supplier about the potential differences that may exist between the prototype and actual factory production. Will there be any? There don’t have to be, but the design process for developing a prototype of a custom package is so different from the factory production of a final product, so it pays to ask.
- The last issue is your choice of supplier. It pays to work with a plastics packaging provider who can not only help you understand the issues covered here, but also vertically coordinate the process of taking a design through prototyping, testing, and tooling to final production. It’s easier for you than coordinating multiple suppliers, and can save you both time and money.
Custom Packaging Prototype Design Development from CMG Plastics
For more details on the above information or a quote, please feel free to contact CMG Plastics. We are a custom plastic packaging manufacturer focused on the food products, healthcare and packaged goods industries. We offer a range of sophisticated customization capabilities, and the ability to produce custom packaging solutions with excellent consistency at high-speed.
Please contact Jens (pronounced “Yens”) Duerr at 908.218.7997 ext. 203.